Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Half of January is over.


We have had lots of fun in the first half of January. Yes, there have been trials, but we have had lots of fun.

Nicholas loves art. We do art every chance we get. In fact, sometimes the art gets out of hand. But that's what 2 year olds do. The other day he wanted to paint outside. What he was really asking for was paint and sponges so he can paint the patio. We have a patio out back and I let him paint it during the summer months. He paints it one day and the next day he "cleans" it with water, pails, sponges, and lots of splashing. This is a "green" activity because it saves paper. But it really just saves me the hassle of cleaning and setting things up. So we did this one day and it rained that afternoon. He was upset that the rain did the "cleaning" for him.

We also went to Marine World. We got season passes last year and I wanted to go one more time before they closed. So Jon watched the Rose Bowl with his dad and Nicholas and I went and played in the snow. And saw the animals, went on rides, went into the Shark Zone, and fed giraffes. It was a great outing for us. It didn't even rain while we were there, although it did rain on our way there and after we left.
Another favorite activity to do is puddle walks. He likes to splash. What better way to splash than jump in puddles? He really enjoys this and so do I. He wanted to go puddle walking a few times this year. Every time he puts on shorts. I think one time we went in pants and they got wet and cold, so he prefers shorts. And his fireman boots and fireman rain jacket. The rain jacket is something I insist on. So we bundle up, I put Abby in the Moby carrier and zipper the sweatshirt over her and we go on walks. He enjoys himself, I enjoy myself, and I think Abby would if she would just wake up. I put her in the carrier and she goes to sleep. Much like she does with tummy time.

We also play cars and trucks. He got this great construction truck set and I find myself making things out of blocks that he can "build" or destroy with his construction trucks. He has fun and I get to use a bit of imagination. Abby watches us from her bouncy chair and smiles every so often.



My cousin Angie got Abby a Madonna shirt and I just had to post a picture of it. What girl can be a true girl without a little Madonna in her life? This was the first time I have gotten Nicholas to hold Abby up right in a picture. He wanted to play with her and was reading her a book before I took the picture.

As a side note - I am so glad our couches are brown. I was reading this month's "Family Circle" magazine and they said a white-on-white decorating scheme is chic. This is a family magazine suggesting white furniture. They must be insane. Thank goodness for the brown microfiber. I can clean anything with a wet cloth and the brown hides things until I can clean them - don't worry, I do keep the couches clean. It's a nightly job for me. Just one of those things.

The second half of January is looking great too. Nicholas has new Sketchers shoes - courtesy of Grandma - and they light up. We went shoe shopping for me (I got the new Sketchers Tone Ups and they help my ankles and arches a ton so I am in a lot less pain). But Nicholas picked out new shoes too. The sales man brought out a ton of shoes in his size. The first ones he put on Nicholas jumped around in, saw they lighted up, and said he wanted these ones. Forget that the others lighted up too, or that one pair had flames and lights on them (how totally awesome). He wanted the first ones - which are cute too. Thanks mom!

We have plans, great plans. Mainly to get me enough sleep and well enough so I can make the transition to full time mom instead of part-time mom part-time work. So we shall see how this goes. I am looking forward to it and nervous about it in equal parts. But January is looking great.

No comments: