Friday, January 21, 2011

Baby driving

No, I don't mean letting the baby drive. I just mean it is different driving with a baby in the car.

I don't mean that you are more cautious (because I hope you are cautious whenever you drive). I just mean it it different, and it is different depending on the baby.

Both my kids are extremely sensitive to stopping. Not just stopping, but stepping on the brakes at all. Nicholas will sleep through most stops. But when you come to a complete stop at the light, or start slowing down on the off-ramp to the freeway, he wakes right up.

Abby will wake up if you tap the brakes. Her wakings tend to come with crying because she doesn't like her car seat. She would much rather be held or played with thank you. But she quiets down the minute you start driving.

So I drive differently when I have them in the car. With just Nicholas, or with just me, I go the quickest route. When they are sleeping, or I have Abby, I go the route with the least stops. This sometimes means going straight at a stop light when you wanted to turn left simply to avoid the crying. Or making 3 right hand turns and 2 U-turns to avoid waiting in the left hand turn lane. Or sometimes it means going way around a different route so you can avoid stop lights and stop signs. It is amazing how many different routes I know to common places - Costco, Target, church, stores - in order to prevent the crying baby syndrome in the car.

When she cries, he starts doing something - normally singing "Old MacDonald" - at the top of his lungs. As if the louder he sings, the quieter she will be, when it is really the reverse.

So baby driving - it is the term of the month and a skill I have developed. Never thought I would develop new driving techniques, but kids make parents do the darndest things.

No comments: