Friday, January 21, 2011

Costco and the American flag.

There were two events this week that got me thinking about the state of society.

First, I saw someone putting up an American flag. But when they were putting it up they had laid it down on the ground to make it go up the right way. After years and years of things like Girl Scouts and the military, I know the American flag doesn't go on the ground. To be honest, I knew long before that because in elementary school we were responsible, once a month or so, for putting the flag up and down. We were told "The American flag cannot touch the ground or it must be burned." While that's not exactly in the flag code, the code does say that it shouldn't touch the ground, and when it is work it has to be burned. (See the full flag code here).

How do people not know this? I know there are people who don't follow the flag code. For instance, the code says the flag shouldn't be used for advertising. But almost everyone knows the flag is flown upside down only as a sign of distress. So how do people not know that the flag cannot touch the ground?

What made this particular incident all the worse was that it was at Mather. Mather is an old military base which is now a mixed-us airfield. It has civilian businesses, military units, and an in-use airfield. This flag pole was in site of a bunch of soldiers doing a pre-flight check on a helicopter. In fact, the soldiers were yelling at the guy (I had my window down to yell at the guy too, but the soldiers were doing it much better). I imagine if there hadn't been a huge fence in the way the soldiers would've taken care of the situation. But the guy quickly put the flag up the pole and ran inside. It was clear he heard all the yelling and wanted out as quickly as possible.

It's a sad state of affairs when the flag gets laid on the ground just because it is easier. I have put a full-sized flag up a pole by myself. It's not easy, but it can be done. It just takes some careful work. Moral of this story - don't put the flag up unless you are sure you can keep it from touching the ground.

Second incident happened at Costco. I am a huge fan of the store. Especially when they have great samples up. But when they only have one line open and expect everyone else to use the self-checkouts, it can be a bit hazardous. This is especially true when you have 2 kids in the cart, with one in a car seat. So if you see someone in front of you with 2 kids in the cart, you probably don't want to get behind them in line at the self-check. Or if you do, try not to huff and puff as if huffing and puffing is going to make me go faster. It won't work - it will probably make me go slower. And when you ask me, "Are you done yet?" The answer is no. Especially not if you see the big red diaper box under the cart and stuff in the cart. It just takes longer. So wait your turn or don't get in line behind me. When did it become okay to annoy people just because you think they are taking too long at the checkout line? How annoying.

Neither of these experiences make me think that society is doing well. I always open the door for people with strollers - even before I had to use one. It's polite. So is not huffing and puffing at people in front of you in line, and keeping the flag off the ground. If we cannot be polite to each other, what is next? What are you teaching your children if you cannot be polite yourself? Then don't be surprised when your children are rude to you if you cannot be polite to others.

No comments: