Friday, November 26, 2010

Teething necklaces

Every mom knows the complaint - I cannot wear nice jewelry because my kids pulls/tugs/teethes/bites (insert your choice of verb here) on it. In fact, my son broke my favorite necklace when he was in the teething stage. I learned after that one. However, you also have to give up dangling earrings and some bracelets. I had to give up bracelets because my son always wanted to wear them - who wouldn't want to wear mom's jewelry. If mom is wearing it, it must be cool.

As I flashed forward to Abby going through this stage, and since I was looking for something Jon could get me and put in my stocking, I remembered hearing something about teething necklaces.

As I will do when I am trying to find something, I googled it (teething necklaces for mom). I got three types of results:

1. Actual necklaces that can double as teethers (which is what I wanted).
2. Something called a "nursing necklace" - which is a necklace made of colorful and tactile beads for a baby to hold while nursing - but not for teething on (which I did not want).
3. Amber necklaces - which the makers claim helps pain relief for teething babies when they wear it close to their skin.

So I picked out a few websites that had option number one and I was in love!

Smart Mom Jewelry makes a variety of necklaces (and matching bracelets) that can be teethed on. These come in donut shapes (a latex-free string with a donut pendant on the end) in multiple colors.

Uncommon Goods has the chunky bead-like necklaces that are made in three colors (blue, black and clear) for babies to chew on. These can go in the dishwasher when they need to be sanitized.

And then there is the Oh Plah! teething cuff - for those of you who like to wear bracelets and have babies who like to chew on them.

Anyways, I thought I would do other moms the favor of posting this here.

No comments: