Thursday, March 3, 2011

Our developing garden

One of the things about buying a home in a development is that they all look related. In some cases, exactly the same. There is a home 2 streets over that is exactly the same as ours. Luckily there are no homes on the same street that are exactly the same. There are some that are the same color, and some that are the same look, but none that are the same color.

So I have started to personalize our home. As you can see, I added a little log trim to the front to separate the grass and planting. We added lights and star lights (the stars were picked out by Nicholas). The star lights charge during the day and change colors at night. They are his favorite thing to look at during nighttime. He calls them his "everyday Christmas lights." There's also a flag with a ladybug. I wanted one of the big flags, but I couldn't see myself changing it every season. So we have a little flag instead that says "Welcome."

You cannot see them yet, but the picture below is of my hydrangea bushes. I planted them towards the back (since they are full shade bulbs). They are in between the regulation green bushes.
Hopefully they will grow. It will lessen the look of the whole development at our house. If they grow I am going to have some gorgeous blue flowers behind green bushes against a brown half-wall. I thought it might look nice.

I also had Jon pull out some of the dead plants and we replaced them.

Slowly, but surely, our front garden is developing into something that doesn't look like everyone else's. It is getting a personality all its own.

Now if only the backyard's personality said something other than "messy area where toddlers play."

No comments: