Monday, April 19, 2010

Today's day

There are some days you don't want to repeat. This is one of them.

I had to wake up at 6:15 to make sure Nicholas and I were ready to go about 7 to get the car to the "car doctor" (repair shop) at 7:30 for it's 10k oil change and check-up. This was after an awful night where Nicholas ended up falling off his bed twice, and not wanting to sleep in it after the second time until we laid EVERY stuffed animal he owned under it. It was a trying night, and a more trying morning.

They told me it would take 30 minutes. It ended up taking 1.5 hours. How do you occupy a kid on a car lot for 1.5 hours? Luckily a fire engine came to be serviced (or something) and so he spent 20 minutes looking at that. We spent 20 minutes looking at some ambulances. We took a walk on the street, but Nicholas complained about the noise and that it was too cold. We colored. He played with his Elmo car - to the annoyance of everyone else in the waiting room who had to hear "zoom zoom goes car." Then we watched the car doctors at work. All this while I was still trying to wake up.

On the way home he fell asleep, but the drive home is only 30 minutes. So when we got home I was hoping he would stay asleep, but no - he woke up. So we had 30 more minutes of crying. He wanted to paint, so I got out the paints. He made 2 pictures, then starting painting the table. So painting time ended. He was a total ball of energy today - and cranky energy - and I was tired.

At this point it is only 10-ish. So I threw him in the bathtub. Which was fine until he wanted to jump in the tub or throw water out of the tub. Neither of which is an acceptable activity, so, with a huge fit, he got out of the tub. Then he cuddled on me and let me sing him some songs. That part of the day I am happy to repeat anytime. But then came time to put on a diaper.

Does any other mom feel like a rat when they put their kid down for nap time and they scream? It makes me feel horrible, even though I know he won't remember it. He has this way of yelling "mommy" that makes me want to go back in there and cuddle with him, even though I know leaving him alone is better. So I put on my iPod for 20 minutes, then went back in. What didn't surprise me was to find him reading to his stuffed animals.

Then we took a walk. And another walk. And another walk.

Then came the best part of my day - Evan came over to take care of Nicholas so I could study! Evan then got stinker, I got a nap, and then I got to study at the library at CSUS until class time. As a bigger plus, I got an A on my last midterm ever. I am not going back to school after this. I was thinking of going for a PhD, and have decided maybe some other time, when kids are grown. But not now.

So now its bedtime again. Nicholas is sleeping. Jon is helping do laundry, and I am tired.

No comments: