Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Time for a new bed!

So, it is time for a new bed for Nicholas. We have been lucky, thus far, in that he only gets out of his crib during the day. But since he can get out, it is time for a new bed. Luckily, his birthday is on the 12th, so this all works great.

I made a mommy-mistake and asked him what type of big boy bed he wanted. He said a "car" bed. Those are over $300!! Everyone is onto the fact that kids want a car bed. So we are going to ignore that and get him a blue bed from IKEA. He loves that one every time we go.

But we went to Target today to get the comforter and sheets. I pulled all the comforters off the shelf and put them down on the ground. I pulled him out of the cart, and we walked along the line as I told him what each one was. Then I said "pick one." He ran to the Thomas the Tank Engine one and grabbed it in a big bear hug and said "This one mine." So that one is his.

The sheets were a harder sell. I pulled them all out, again (and the Target people were watching me do this and staring at me like I was weird. Evidently, they don't have a very opinionated 2 year old who needs to be involved in EVERY decision about himself or he throws a fit). I said, "Pick one." He had the choice between animals, basketballs/footballs, Cars, Thomas, and dump trucks. He grabbed four of the five and said "Here mommy, mine." I said, " No Nicholas, pick one." He looked at me, put them all down, picked 2, and said "Mine mommy." He had the most adorable look on his face, and I was totally wanting to give in. But I stuck to my guns and made him pick one.

He chose the Cars sheets.

So in the end we have a Thomas the Tank Engine comforter and Cars sheets - and two waterproof mattress covers that are going to come in real handy.

Now we just need the bed (Saturday) and for him to sleep in it. This is going to be a hard sell, maybe. Sometimes I think he's going to be difficult, and he's easy breezy. So we shall see. I am hoping for easy breezy. I am also a little concerned that he's going to play with his sheets and comforter and not really sleep - but we can handle that. Eventually he crashes.

No comments: