Wednesday, February 12, 2014

How true is this nice little ecard? Anyone who has ever taught kids can claim that the kids get their awesomeness from their instructors. Regardless of what you teach a child, they always look up to you. If you are encouraging to them, they become awesome! I love helping kids reach their full potential. Of course, there are times when you have to be "mean" - make sure they are doing what they are supposed to do, criticize, and punish. But even that helps bring out their awesomeness.

Oh wait - that's exactly what a mom does!!!

There was a recent blog post that went viral on Facebook. It was a letter from a SAHM (stay at home mom) to working moms. It amounted to saying that being a mother is a martyr.

How untrue is that?

Being a mother is a calling and a choice. It might be an unintended choice, but it's a choice. And it's a calling. I feel like this is what I'm supposed to do.

Are there days when I feel worse about it than others? Sure. There are days when my needs are second. There are days when my needs are first. It simply depends on what day it is and how it is going. I feel like we should be on a better schedule, but so it goes. Sometimes I get what I want in, and sometimes I don't. But regardless, I'm not a martyr. I'm a mom. The two are not the same thing.

The happiest moms I know take care of themselves. Whether this means quiet time for an hour, going to the gym, vegging out at night.....there are a million options. But the happiest moms are those what are happy - who have things for themselves and feel whole. Moms who feel like martyrs aren't happy.

So who is going to be in charge of getting my kids their awesomeness?

That would be me. Because I am both a mom and a martial arts instructor (I happen to be both to my kids).



No comments: