Monday, October 18, 2010

Engineering with cardboard and duct tape


There comes a time in every boy's life when cardboard boxes are the best thing ever (besides food). Today was that day for Nicholas.

My wonderful sister has been sending us things for the baby. And Target and Babies R Us send things in these huge boxes. I mean, they are big boxes. So Nicholas helped unpack the boxes (and so did my mom who was here. They piled everything up at the bottom of the stairs (Jon has to take it upstairs because carrying things is taboo for me).

Then Nicholas got into one of the boxes. He saw it and emptied it of the plastic bag things used in packing, and had my mom help him carry it into the living room, and then sat in it and played with his cars until it was nap time. After nap time he played with it again.


So when Jon came home, I built Nicholas a fort while they were eating dinner. These are two huge boxes taped together (thanks duct tape) and I cut two windows in so there would be light. And then it is a fort. You can see Nicholas sticking his head out of one of the windows.

Then he stuck his new bumble bee pillow pet out the other window. Mom and Debby had bought Abbey (the baby) a pillow pet and Nicholas kept trying to steal it. So they got him one too. It hasn't left his side all day. He even cuddled it in his nap. So he, naturally, took it to his fort.

And then the snacks and milk had to go into the fort. And then come out of the fort. He's such a cutie.

I guess this means I am saving cardboard boxes from now on for building things. Thank goodness I'm an okay engineer with cardboard and duct tape - not that I want to try building anything big, but a fort I can handle.

1 comment:

Henna | HENNA BLOSSOM BLOG said...

ran across this post doing a google search. I know it's a bit old, but funny, cardboard boxes are just such a classic.

My son has been having a blast with two old boxes for the past week. He's not QUITE as advanced as your son, 18 months...ha :) Thought you'd enjoy the post so sharing the link below.

http://hennablossom.com/?p=639