Friday, July 11, 2014

The beach.

We spend a lot of time at the beach. A lot. We are there at least three or four times a week. In the past 7 days we have been to the beach 6 out of 7 days. We tend to go to Goleta City Beach. It's about 5 minutes from our house by car. It has free parking. And it is not a place tourists go. The beaches in Santa Barbara proper are where tourists go. We have been there this summer, and we are going to avoid them for a little while longer. We like uncrowded beaches. Filled with sand and ocean views. Not views of other people. Nicholas likes to build sand balls, then a wall, and then crush the wall with the sand balls. Abby just builds. Neither of my kids are big sand castle builders - which is fine. Both are huge hole diggers. On Saturday we totally went and sat by a family that already had a big hole. My kids just joined in the play there. It was nice to not have to dig our own hole, and simply help with someone else's hole. It gave my kids a bunch of fun and social interaction. Abby is getting better about working with people in new settings. Nicholas just runs up to people and asks if he can play too. Abby hangs back for a bit. We are lucky that no one has had a sun burn yet. It's a real miracle because my red headed daughter is also pasty white. Like florescent. So we use a ton of sunscreen. It's a regular purchase at Costco. Almost as regular as milk. What do I do at the beach? Well, I'm kind of a nerd. I do some ab work, then some yoga, and then I just chill out. Sometimes that means I read a book. Sometimes I do Sudoku. Sometimes I get in the ocean. I only get in if the kids are there. And if Jon is there, we take turns swimming in the ocean. It's really peaceful just taking the boogie board out there and floating past the breakers. We love the beach. I think it's one of the most amazing things about living here. I'm not sure how we would deal if we moved away from the beach at this point. And Nicholas is getting to be quite the boogie boarder. Even Abby is taking it up. It means they practice swimming more in the pool at the condo. Which is a nice side effect.

No comments: