Monday, May 5, 2014

Ah! Packing!

My sewing room has never been so clean. No shelves.
No stuff. Just boxes and furniture.
In case you missed the big news, we are moving. To Santa Barbara.

This is super exciting, but it entails packing. Lots of packing. We are moving from a wonderful 4 bed/3bath house (2350 sq. ft.) to a much smaller townhouse - almost 1000 sq feet will be lost. In order to have school space we are converting the garage into storage/playroom/school.

So we've been downsizing as we've been packing and it's gotten me to think and realize - we have way too much stuff.

The kids were unwilling to part with much stuff - which is understandable. We - me and Jon - made the decision that we won't make them part with anything because a move can be unsettling. Instead we will part with stuff.

See the boxes? And we still aren't done
with all the packing. 
We moved into our house with over 30 boxes of books. We are moving out with 12. We moved into the house with two dressers and are moving out with one (but the new townhouse does have 2 closets - so 1.5 for me, .5 for Jonathan).

We moved in with two bikes and out with 4 bikes, 2 scooters, skates, and a skateboard.

Let's just say, we have a lot of stuff. And packing a lot of stuff takes a lot of time.

It's been interesting packing and working on putting the house back into really good shape to sell it. I feel like we are vacationing in our home rather than living here sometimes - especially if you are in our room or the loft (which were 2 places I loved). My craft room is packed up and so I don't get to relax by doing any crafts anymore. No sewing for me. No art for me. Just kids' art. It's okay though, we will figure it all out.

Besides, for stress relief, at least there's still a bathtub.

No comments: